Sports betting has grown in popularity over time, and the anti-gambling stigma has faded, allowing the multibillion-dollar sports betting industry to rise through the ranks. Some have even made a career out of sports betting, earning more than the average businessman. Here are some sports betting tips for beginners.
Favourite vs. Underdogs
A favourite is a team or individual that is expected to win a particular event whereas an underdog is a team or individual that is expected to lose.
In sports betting there are two main ways in which you can bet on either a favourite or an underdog.
- A point spread:
Is a bet on the margin of victory in a sporting event. In other words, the team or individual you bet on to win (the favourite) must win by a certain number in order to cash your bet.
- A push
A push occurs when the point spread or point total hits the exact number in which you bet in other words, it is a tie.
Another way to bet on a favorite or an underdog is to use moneylines. We’ve established that a point spread requires the favorite to win by a specific margin, so we’ll move on to moneylines. Betting on a moneyline is when you bet on the team you believe will win; if the team wins, regardless of the score, you win and can cash your bet.
An over/under, also known as “the total,” is a wager on the total number of points scored in a game. You can bet on whether the combined score of both teams will be higher or lower than the prescribed amount.
How to place a bet
Since sports betting has become so popular there are plenty of sportsbooks to choose from. Many resources are available to determine which sportsbooks are the best including wish casinos.
There are a few things to keep in mind when placing a bet:
- The favourite doesn’t always win, the underdog could always surprise you.
- Don’t always just use one bookmaker, purchase bets on a few to get the highest chances.
- Always consider the less obvious markets.
- Don’t bet with your heart, bet with your brain. You might be a huge fan of a particular athlete or team, either way, it is unpredictable so place your bet based on your research.
- Do your research before choosing your favourite, make sure you are certain of your decision. Know the sport and the players well to get a better understanding of their previous winnings and losings.